Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My "First" Crocheted Necklace

The lady sitting next to Diane and me at the Anita Goodesign Embroidery Seminar last weekend had on a very interesting necklace. I heard her say that she had made it. Upon further questioning, I learned that it was crocheted with 20 gauge copper wire and miscellaneous beads.

Okay!

After the seminar, Diane and I went back to her house, searched her "toy closet" and found some beads and wire, and I crocheted for an hour or so. It took an entire spool of copper wire and I broke my crochet hook, but WE GOT A NECKLACE!  Then after a run to Michael's for more wire and another crochet hook, I made another one...one for each of us, of course!

2 comments:

The Ham Family said...

The necklace is very pretty! Can you share how you did it? I have never heard of a crochet hook breaking!

Veretta said...

Gay,
You take 20 lb wire and thread on approximately 80 beads. I used big, little, medium, another big, little, little...mix them up and alternate colors. Then just chain loosely--putting one bead on every other stitch. Chain should be about 30 inches long. Leave about a 3" tail on each end. Now make another one. For the third one I was running out of beads so I chained a plain chain with no beads. When all three chains are completed, braid them together. Add a necklace fastener and you're finished!! I was visiting a friend out of town and only had a D crochet hook with me. It broke because it bent and I straightened it and it bent and I straightened it so many times...I think I would recommend a G hook. The size really doesn't matter because the wire doesn't wrap to fit the hook. Good Luck!!!